The Spanish football calendar has been postponed until further notice, La Liga and the Spanish football federation (RFEF) said in a joint statement on Monday.
All organised football in Spain had been postponed for two weeks because of coronavirus but was initially due to resume on 3 April.
The statement said a joint commission between the two bodies had agreed to postpone all professional football competitions until the Spanish government considered they could start again “without creating any health risk”.
“Both the RFEF and La Liga wish to express our greatest public gratitude to all those who are dedicating their best efforts to provide essential services to the Spanish people,” the statement said. “We also share our condolences for all the deceased and a warm embrace from the world of soccer to the many families that are losing loved ones.” Lorenzo Sanz, president of Real Madrid from 1995-2000, died of coronavirus on Saturday.