1) Actual Premier League football returns next week when Sheffield United visit Aston Villa, before Manchester City pit their wits against Arsenal. Sergio Agüero scored a hat-trick in City’s 3-1 win in this fixture last year. Here is his second, a magnificent team goal, from every angle. Most of City’s attackers liked the visit of Arsenal, especially Emmanuel Adebayor who showed his turn of pace after scoring a header against his former club and legged it down the other end to give it the big’un to the away fans. John Fleck’s double for the Blades cut down Aston Villa when they went to Bramall Lane in December, his first featuring a foxy back-heeled pass by Chris Basham.
2) Euro 2020 starts on Friday (in a parallel universe). It was all supposed to begin with Turkey v Italy, who incidentally faced each other in the tournament 20 years ago, when Antonio Conte netted a wondrous overhead kick. At least Skillzy, the tournament’s mascot, will be back next year, as you can’t keep a good animation/man in a polyester suit down.
3) For a bit of retro celebrity golf action, here’s Sid James, Val Doonican and Arthur Askey doing their bit to promote the delights of Torbay in 1968.
5) On this day in 1952, the great Denis Compton scored his hundredth century, for Middlesex against Northamptonshire at Lord’s. This Pathe news clip of the milestone gives an indication of his star status at the time. His epic double-hundred v South Africa at a packed Lord’s in 1947 is captured here. Three years later he was playing in the FA Cup final for Arsenal, who beat Liverpool 2-0.
6) In 1985, Dunfermline Athletic celebrated their centenary. Naturally, they celebrated by appearing on BBC’s Pebble Mill singing a song about themselves to the tune of the EastEnders theme tune. This, of course, puts us in mind of Anita Dobson’s version, performed on Top of the Pops in 1986, and Everton’s legendary appearance on Wogan, singing their 1985 FA Cup final song.
Spotters’ badges: LeeWall, epeeist
Guardian YouTube football channel
Guardian YouTube sport channel