We’ve talked a lot about how to avoid chemicals at home and basically how to make home a safer place for our kids and families. It’s a worthy goal but it’s easy to get overwhelmed when it starts to sound like everything from air to water to candles to carpet is dangerous.
That’s why I love Leah Segedie, my guest today and author of the book Green Enough: Eat Better, Live Cleaner, Be Happier — All Without Driving Your Family Crazy. That title is right on the money and something all of us moms are trying to do.
Leah is a food activist and the founder of the Mamavation Community, which teaches moms like us healthy living practices to combat disease starting in the home. Her ultimate goal is to make healthy living easy to put into practice, without living in a bubble or spending thousands on expensive products. She’s always a blast to talk to and I’m looking forward to comparing notes!
Episode Highlights: Green Enough With Leah Segedie
- the biggest source of hormone-disrupting BPA and how to avoid it (p.s. it’s not canned goods)
- three basic things to avoid inside your home, period
- the no-cost way to reduce chemical exposure inside your home
- how to find balance in the quest to have a healthy family
- the ways fire retardants cause damage rather than prevent it
- which plastics are the least harmful, and which to always avoid
- why you should throw out every kitchen utensil made with black plastic
- the places phthalates are hiding in your home
- problems with tampons (and what to use instead)
- and more!
Resources We Mention
- Sign Leah’s petition asking Target to switch to safe receipts
- Green Enough: Eat Better, Live Cleaner, Be Happier–All Without Driving Your Family Crazy! by Leah Segedie
- Our Stolen Future: Are We Threatening Our Fertility, Intelligence, and Survival?–A Scientific Detective Story by Theo Colborn
- Best dryer sheets: Eco Pure (reusable) or Grab Green
- Best laundry detergents: Attitude, BioClean, Charlie’s Soap, Eco Nuts, Eco-Me, Grab Green, and Molly Suds
- Menstrual cups: Diva or Luna
- Four Sigmatic mushroom coffee
More From Wellness Mama
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have for Leah? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Just Thrive probiotics. I found this company a couple of months ago and was blown away by the difference in their products! Just Thrive offers two cornerstone products that are both clinically studies and highly effective. Their probiotic has been clinical studies to help with leaky gut and to survive up to 1000 as much as other probiotics. The difference is the spore-based strains that are included which work completely differently than other types of probiotics. This probiotic is also vegan, dairy-free, histamine free and is non-GMO, and made WITHOUT soy, dairy, sugar, salt, corn, tree nuts or gluten. Just Thrive Probiotic contains a patented strain called Bacillus Indicus HU36®, which produces antioxidants in the digestive system – where they can be best absorbed by the body. Their other product is a K2-7, and this nutrient is known as the “Activator X” super-nutrient that Weston A. Price – a dentist known primarily for his theories on the relationship between nutrition, good health, bone development and teeth – found prevalent in foods in the healthiest communities. Theirs is the only pharmaceutical grade, all-natural vitamin K2 supplement with published safety studies. Like the probiotic, this supplement is gluten, dairy, soy, nut, and GMO-free. Check out both at Thrive Probiotics.
This podcast is brought to you by Spar, a cool new app I found that lets you gamify behavior change to make you more likely to stick to it and here’s what I mean. You download the app for free and create an account then you can join or create a challenge to help you do anything from going for a walk every day, doing 20 push-ups each day or even reading for a certain amount of time each day. To make it fun, you can challenge friends to join you and you check in each day via video to prove that you did it. If you miss a day of the challenge you get charged a penalty and the winner takes the whole pot so you can actually win some serious cash while getting better at a habit you want to get better at anyway. People are using this from anything from flossing their teeth to reading each day or exercising or going to bed by 10 pm. If you want to check it out, just download the Spar app from the App store and jump in.